- 3 ½ pounds cooked and flaked
- 9 oz mayonnaise
- 2 TBS Garlic chili paste (Sambal Olek)
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 ½ TBS Old Bay seasoning
- 1 TBS dry mustard powder
- 2 pasteurized eggs
- 2 TBS chopped parsley
- ¾ sleeve saltine crackers (crumbled)
- ¾ scallions, sliced thin
- 1 TBS fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 3 oz olive oil or clarified butter for frying
- Remove bones and skin from walleye filets, brush with olive oil and bake in a 350 degree oven until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool. Flake fish into a clean mixing bowl double checking for any bones remaining.
- Add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and gently fold with a rubber spatula to evenly combine being careful to keep the walleye flaky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator overnight if possible.
- Form walleye mixture into 2 oz cakes and dredge in Panko bread crumbs covering all sides.
- Place frying over medium high heat and place approx 6 cakes in pan once hot. Once golden brown flip and repeat on opposite side. Remove from frying pan and place on cookie sheet. Repeat process until all cakes have been browned.
- Place cookie sheet in 350 oven and cook until an internal temp of 175 degrees has been reached.
- Serve warm with fresh lemon wedges plus some remoulade or your favorite tartar sauce on the side.
Serves 12 (approx. 24, 2 oz cakes)